I Am Woman

Day 16
I'm glad that I live in America where women are respected and are given the opportunity to voice their opinions when/wherever they want without fear of oppression.

In my Modern Germany class  we had to read an excerpt of a book, A Woman in Berlin.
I knew what it was about  before I read it, I didn't really get anything from it...
until today.

In class we were discussing what we read. I knew that there were some pretty explicit details about the many times that this woman was raped.

Yet I detached myself. I thought 'this would never happen to me' then a girl, Tess, spoke up.
She talked about how
horrific
it is to be in a situation where you have to choose the lesser of two evils:
to be raped, or to be killed.

All of a sudden, I just couldn't hold it in anymore. My eyelids wouldn't blink fast enough to keep the tears back.

I just couldn't help but think
'what would I do if I were placed in this situation?'
another girl, Courtney [most of the class is girls] said that she would rather commit suicide than to be repeatedly raped and abused by someone she barely knew.
'would I be able to handle that? would I take the suicide route? would I attempt to run away just
     to be brought back again and be beaten ruthlessly?'

These are some things I have been thinking quite heavily on for the last few hours.

I keep coming back to the thought that
I am so glad to live in America.
I am so glad that I can go out at any time and not feel threatened. I love that I can drive down the street
without having to lock my car doors. I love that it's not a big deal if I forget to lock up my house.
we look out for each other here
and it's something that I
NEVER
want to take for granted again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
"This life is what you make it... You're going to mess up sometimes, just because you fail once doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie?" -Marilyn Monroe

Followers

Powered by Blogger.