What A Girl Wants

I've been thinking a lot about what I want.
What I want from my life, what I want in the future, ya know, those things that girls dream about their
entire lives.

As of this June, I will have been  in ten, that's right, TEN, weddings in my lifetime. That's an average of one
every other year of my life.

This is what got the gears in my brain going. My most recently-engaged friend asked me the other day
what is it exactly that you want?

I immediately had a flashback to when we were in our Young Women's group at church and one of our leaders asked us to make a list of qualities that we wanted in a future husband. Being the little high school girl that I  was I immediately started writing:

plays sports
good with kids
musical
attractive
LDS
gets along with my family
muscular
tall
dark
handsome

Basically all the petty little things that really don't mean anything. Truth is, I don't really know what I want.
I always thought that I would fall for someone who is like that. Someone that I can just check his
perfect qualities off the list.

I've come to realize that these qualities really aren't what I should look for. I should look for a man who loves
God more than anything. A man who is respectful, humble, honest.

As I sit here, I wonder how many people I have let slip through my fingers because they don't have the checklist qualities. In all honesty, the majority of my closest friends don't even fit the bill. Heaven knows that I don't either. 

I don't understand why we choose to hold people to a higher standard than what we set for ourselves. If I expect things from a man, then I need to start living these things myself.

I don't have a checklist anymore.
I don't know where I'm going,
I don't really know what I expect from myself or anyone else, but I do know that I want a simple life.
I want a job that I love.
I want a family as great as mine is.
I want a love that put fairy tales to shame.
I want a farm that lives up to its legacy.
I want a hubby that is mine for eternity.
Mostly, I just want to be happy, happy, happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
"This life is what you make it... You're going to mess up sometimes, just because you fail once doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie?" -Marilyn Monroe

Followers

Powered by Blogger.